MIXING YOGA WITH DRINKING IS A TREND

I wrote a listicle for LA Weekly to help people find 7 places to combine yoga and booze this month in Los Angeles. Yes, I ask the hard hitting questions for you. It was part of my week of fun articles, the other being my piece on Netflix-for-rad-toys startup Joymode. (Look for it on Thrillist on Thursday Sept. 22.)

I became interested in the trend when I received an invitation for one of the events, and wondered how common it is to stack a happy hour on top of yoga class. I learned it's common, and spreading. Boston has a Bendy Brunch (vinyasa + mimosas), and Washington D.C. has Soul & Spirits, both produced by yoga event organizer Grip the Mat, which does Vinyasa to Vino here in LA.

Later this month, a St. Louis ale house will combine yoga with a tasting, like the Dude's Brewing Company event featured in my Weekly article. That event was planned by Yoga Buzz, a St. Louis nonprofit that plans various yoga events to make it more accessible to the community. Early next month, another Yoga Buzz event will add baseball to the yoga-drinking mix. Browse Eventbrite and you'll find events throughout the country.

Here in LA, all the events from my list - with the exception of Sunset Yoga & Cocktails - will repeat. I will catch the next Sound Off Yoga. Glow in the dark earphones in a dim garden, deep house in my ears alone (sort of), and the lovely garden at The Garland - epic idea.

I didn't get to include one photo of the Grip the Mat founders, Christy Skarulis and Ashley Braun, in my piece. We also didn't publish some of the photos of Green Tree Yoga & Meditation, a wonderful South Park nonprofit seeking to renew the community through access and practice. The outtakes:

Grip the Mat founders, Christy Skarulis and Ashley Braun, teach vinyasa at The Lazarus Experience on Wednesdays, followed by wine and mingling. I love this photo of the friends and founders, but we picked the photo we ran because it better encapsulated the actual event, with yogis with wine in hand. Photo: Courtesy Christy Skarulis



Green Tree Yoga & Meditation (above and below) brings donation-based yoga and meditation, and a new kind of community, to South Los Angeles. Below, the instructor is Green Tree founder Raja Michelle. Photos: Courtesy Green Tree Yoga & Meditation 


Sunday rooftop yoga at the Standard DTLA buys you a day at the pool, a package with a perfect name - Bender. As in, bend your body around before you go on a [booze] bender. Photo: Bender Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOS ANGELES CITY HALL IS A BIG BLACK HOLE

IS THE SMARTPHONE MICROLABOR ECONOMY A MODERN GOLD RUSH?

FARM TO TABLE EATING COULD FINALLY BECOME ACCESSIBLE TO LOW-INCOME ANGELENOS